Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ahmedabad airport drama

An interesting experience
This is how auto people try to rope in unsuspecting travellers

. Last week, I had gone to Ahmedabad airport to drop off Jiggi Patel my friend, going to Australia. As I came out of the airport, I wanted to take an auto to the bus stand nearby.

2 Autowallah  people approached me, thinking I was a traveler and had just landed down at the airport. The conversation between us....

Kaha jaana hai sahab.
Me: Gandhinagar jaana hai. Drop me to the nearby bus stand
250 Rs Lagenge. beth jao.. 1/2 ghante me pocha denge.
Me: Are you mad? Sorry, I dont want to come
Are sir, give 200 Bucks.. 50 Rs discount
Me: Man, My budget is only 50 Rs... uptil Gandhinagar. Take me or drop it.

What sir, you are at the airport, coming down from a plane and now haggling for a small amount. This is the standard rate of auto wallah people. You wont get less than this anywhere. Ok , lets make it to 150 Bucks and I will drop you off to nearest bus stand.

Me: Who said , I just landed down? I cam here to drop off my friend. I dont even work here. I can at the most give 30 bucks.
And then I started walking out of the airport.

Finally an auto wallah realised that I was only a local guy and offered me my choice of fare. He dropped me off to the nearest bus stand to Gandhinagar.

But this left me thinking, this is how all transport people operate at the airport. You need to be firm with them and be ready to walk off from the deal to get the best deal.

Closing this, I must thank my boss at my office-LetsNurture to allow me to go to airport to see off my friend at such a short notice.


No comments:

Post a Comment